Thursday, January 12, 2023

Getting back in to the rhythm of things...

So, taking a breath...  because it's been somewhat more busy than I'm used to...

 I got hired by LACCD (East Los Angeles Campus) for an IT position.

Back in September.  

Second shift and in East LA, which meant that I had to leave for work after the peak of the rush-hour, but also that I did not get home until 8-9PM and night.  And... because of the type of the position, my time was not my own; very much "Go to the Fridge, Get the Box".  

Then, during a conversation with my 2nd shift supervisor, I made the comment that HR didn't know what to do with me... because I already had Medicare and was trying to fit that in with the existing Calif coverage, Medicare and Kaiser.  (Hint - the school district HR department didn't have a good answer, in spite of the fact that many of the staff (professors, etc) are well over retirement age).

His response:  "How the heck old are you? and Why are you working?"  (paraphrased)
He literally couldn't wrap his head around the idea that I might still be working after a certain age.

 Besides training never really happening ("You should already know that") and some other interaction issues; most of the feedback I got consisted of "you did that wrong"...  but without direction or instructions I think it was a somewhat unfair assessment.  Pretty much all of the complaints had to do with Institutional Knowledge, not technical (at least in terms of where the errors occurred) and since no-one was willing to explain or credit the missing information; it didn't work out so well.  I had to invent whole-cloth most of the inventory work I did, and was only given vague instructions about most of the rest.  (You should know this)...  but I've never worked in a 3000 staff and 60,000 student environment before.  That is a LOT of "customer/clients".  And there is a LOT of legacy infrastructure that I never saw before in that scale.

It could have gone better.

Did I mention that LACCD has a specific "6 month" probationary period where they can discontinue the employment without giving an explanation?  Well, that happened.

I am still annoyed, but letting that define my mental state allows them to win the round.  

But, I did have plans to stay in the position and build up some cash toward retirement.

Back to the search...


(I will probably have more to say later).

No comments: