Tuesday, February 15, 2011

the economy and consulting (a whine)

The fun continues; 

1. Last year, I had a room-mate call the police because I started eviction proceedings... and as a result I was a guest of Devonshire (where I saw my ex-boss's sister -- she is a Detective), and then Van Nuys...   
Not exactly a steller recommendation if I wanted to keep my reputation as a good guy intact.

The court eventually (3 months later) dismissed all charges; but the damage was done anyway... (bail, lawyer time, etc).

2. Since January of last year; I've been stiffed on consulting gigs almost as often as I get them... whether it's that they never intended to pay or we just couldn't resolve the differences (some of each), and that doesn't help my finances...  One guy would never give me real contact information, just a cellphone and a email address (should have figured that one out on my own).  Another, just upset because the website didn't come in under budget and really wasn't as well crafted as we'd all like...

3. Meanwhile, I was *briefly* employed by  a phone company in Glendale where the principal software architect (who had worked for one of my other reference companies  as a consultant); informed me that a the word was that I was (a) a nice guy, (b) completely incompetent and (c) so junior as to be nearly useless... (paraphrasing).  Since my references from there ... don't operate that way (or at least I thought so); I am stuck on how to repair that kind of reference.  I have an idea who would have stabbed me that hard... if true, but then again... no-one really knows.

Meanwhile I'm trying to re-invent myself in some fashion where I actually get paid to do work.

I worked Dec-January for a computer store in the valley as a consultant - troubleshooter, going out to the client sites to do finish work on camera installs and other networking; but they're having issues (and again... I'm not really getting paid much)... so that does not work.

4. Then... This month I had to evict (yet another) roommate who had resulted in two police calls; and the other gal who was rooming with her is moving to Hollywood to be a recording engineer.  (As soon as she can find a way)...  

But I have a positive mental outlook.  I just wish that I wasn't getting so many chances to excel...

No comments: